Last night, I watched the movie “Family Stone”. The sentence that created the huge argument in the Stone’s family is “Our ordinary lives are already complicated. Don’t GLBT have the more pressured and more complicated lives than us?” These are words from an outsider of the Stones, which make everyone hates her. Thad Stone is a gay child who is luckily accepted by his family members. What would happen if he was not accepted in the work place?
Most people assume that the third sex people (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexuals, Transgender, etc.) are psychological illness. In fact, there is a study that guarantees the GLBT is not the illness but it occurs from their genes. Some workplace, especially those government offices in Thailand, denies hiring the GLBT employees without considering about their abilities. There is some particular job that anti-GLBT. For example, a teacher could not be GLBT; the school claimed that a teacher should be a good model for the students.

I have a friend who graduated with 1st honor majored in Information studies; he is very optimistic, cheerful, genius. I used to ask him what is his motive for being such a diligent student, he answered, “Being a gay disappointed my parents, and I would not let them down with my education.” He has a dream being a teacher, but he cannot get a job in any government university. Therefore, he goes for the Master degree in Bangkok, wishing it would provide him more chance getting his dream job.
I felt that it was not fair for who is ingenious but don’t have any chance promoted for the higher positions. Therefore, the GLBT are mostly found running their businesses in order to avoid the workplace discrimination.
Why couldn’t the Thai government be more impartial for the GLBT? Are they any safe workplace for them in our society?
Pawinee (Pik)
I have a friend who graduated with 1st honor majored in Information studies; he is very optimistic, cheerful, genius. I used to ask him what is his motive for being such a diligent student, he answered, “Being a gay disappointed my parents, and I would not let them down with my education.” He has a dream being a teacher, but he cannot get a job in any government university. Therefore, he goes for the Master degree in Bangkok, wishing it would provide him more chance getting his dream job.
I felt that it was not fair for who is ingenious but don’t have any chance promoted for the higher positions. Therefore, the GLBT are mostly found running their businesses in order to avoid the workplace discrimination.
Why couldn’t the Thai government be more impartial for the GLBT? Are they any safe workplace for them in our society?
Pawinee (Pik)
3 comments:
In my workplace, there are some gays and lesbians but their have to conceal that they are not because being gays and lesbians are not accepted in schools.
They think gays and lesbians may be the bad-influences to the students. In fact, sexual orientation is inborn and cannot be changed easily. It is not like fashion or taste.
Moreover there is no statistically significant result show that straight can be changed to become homosexual is just because of the environment or being persuaded.
To me it doesn’t matter if they are gays or lesbians as long as they are good people. I think Thai society lacks of equality. Humans are humans. GLBT are humans also. They all have they own abilities and sometimes they are better than some people who think they are normal.
About in schools, I don’t think teachers are only model for kids now. Kids now are different from in the past. They have their own ideas for doing something. So I think it’s not a good idea to not letting GLBT be teachers. We should think about what makes good education more than which gender cannot be a teacher.
Societies have norms, therefore the term “normal”. However, norm indicates quantity rather than quality, if a society considers certain behaviors as normal, it probably is so because the majority practices it. Whether those standards are good or bad is another thing. In most society heterosexuality is considered “normal” and homosexuality and bisexuality often “abnormal”.
People within the majority would view members of the minority as different. From personal observation I have found that people in a conversation about a third person who is homosexual often form an introduction like, “He works at ….., and bla bla bla, he is gay.” Why do we do that? It’s like a heterosexual would say, “Hey my name is Sarah and I am a heterosexual!” Well good to know. Obviously this works only one way.
I think it is because we, often, treat anything outside our norm as different and as a threat. Sometimes we treat people who are different, like they have a disease. We warn people about them, “…. She is gay”. Or, “He is gay, he is not qualified for the job.” Sometimes people treat gay people as they were a threat, as they had a disease that would spread. Seriously, how does a person’s sexual preference affect her/his work potential? It does not. But discrimination against homosexuals in schools and at the work place is quite “normal”. The only real disease that is spreading is discrimination. “Normal” people do still pass judgments saying that homosexuals are not good enough or qualified enough for certain things including jobs, parenthood and social recognition but “normal” does not necessarily mean good or qualified.
So as long people are great, we should not care about their “gayness” but about their “greatness”!
By Swan (who hates any kind of discrimination)
Post a Comment