Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Coming out



When I was searching for a new topic for our blog I came across this, “I want to tell my mother that I love another woman.” And why don’t you? Because even if one admits and embraces one’s homosexuality others might still not.

It’s natural that people want to talk about their loved ones, the people they want to spend the rest of their lives with or sometimes just the here and now. Does a woman who has a relationship with another woman has the picture of her girlfriend on her desk in her office, it’s unlikely. Maybe in some countries where gay rights are advanced this might be ok, but in many countries this would not happen. “Coming Out” is possible when there is a general acceptance; even then it is sometimes hard. We now that GLBT have the need to express themselves just like any other group, they might have their own dress code, hairstyle, fashion, and other preferences that hint that they are gay. The need of expression is a need everyone has, going out and walk hand in hand with one’s boy/girlfriend is normal. Is it normal if gay people do it? Do others turn around and talk behind their backs? In many societies people cannot dress “gay” to work, and cannot openly admit that they have a relationship with a person that has the same gender. However, if gay people do not actively expand the room where they can be who they are, being gay publicly does not become the norm either. Basically “coming out” is just a step towards what should be “normal” at the first place, GLBT being themselves.


By Swan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually smile when I see gay couples or lesbians. Why? Because I can see love they have for each other. It doesn’t matter if they are male or female. Often that Thai people talk behind those people’s backs. I understand them because it’s not normal in Thailand. I know gay people, foreigners, who live together and they are very happy. It’s good for them, I think. Once when we were born, we should make ourselves happy. Be what we want to be and do what we want to do if it doesn’t harm anyone.

Anonymous said...

I don’t think having “homosexual” dress code or hairstyle is a good idea. It might be a kind of discrimination.

Some lesbian or gay couples may not want to express themselves that they are homosexual because they just want to be in the society without anything different from straight couples.

If they are gay, it doesn’t mean that they want to be women or the “3rd sex” people. They just want to be men who love men, that’s all. I think that homosexual don’t want to be “special” but just accept them as they have same-sex girl/boyfriends.

I’m sure that they don’t want to go to “Lesbian clothes shops” or “Gay University” as long as they want to dress like girls and be treated like any other people.

Anonymous said...

I used to go shopping with my lesbian friends or Tom in Thai. It's good that there will be a place where they could find the perfect cloths that really fit. She is shorter than me, about 165 cm. but she has thick body size. Let’s say that, she cannot wear neither woman’s shirt because it’s too small, nor men’s shirt because the arms of shirt are too long for her. All we could do is find the shop where the shop owner is lesbian or gay. Most of GLBT runs the business of clothing for their style. It doesn’t have to be special, just fit for GLBT. That’s all GLBT do for finding their cloths.

I don't think you have to name it like "Gay cloths shop". Everyone is equal. The cloth designer should make the cloths that fit to every style of their customers. Isn’t this why we have to have a cloth designer?

Anonymous said...

Well, My friend who is quite straight forward about his gayness, unlike some other people, just told me that he has fought a long battle against hotels' dress codes, because he loves to show his feminine side. (he works in the hotel industry)He loves the long pointy shoes, and his pants and top that show some of his curves. Coming out, does not necessarily have to do with clothing, I don' get why people just mention clothing, this might just be a part. There is a definition of "coming out" http://www.sexualcounselling.com/Glossary/Glossaryc.htm
Some people wanna dress like what they think is "normal" and some want to show who they are. And that's their choice. Some women don't like skirts but they have to wear them. I am pround to come from a country where people can "come out"! And I feel the pain of my friend who has to quit his job because he looks too "feminine".
SWAN

Anonymous said...

ชั้นเป็นเกย์ที่ต้องการให้สังคมที่คร่ำครึกในประเทศไทยได้ยอมรับการเป็นตัวตนของชั้นมากขึ้นไม่ว่าจะเป็นสิทธิในการเข้าสังคม การแต่งกายและแม้กระทั่งการแสดงออกการเป็นตัวตนของตัวเองได้อย่างเต็มที่ การที่ชั้นสู้และยอมรับไม่ได้ในความไม่เท่าเทียมกันในสังคมทำให้ชั้นท้อในการมีชีวิตอยู่และความเป็นตัวตนของตนเอง บางครั้งตัวเองปรับตัวให้กับสังคมแต่ทำไม่ได้เพราะมันฝืนกับความรู้สึกของตัวเองมากทีเดียว ชั้นเศร้ามากที่บางครั้งที่ต้องตัดสินใจที่จะออกจากงานที่ชั้นรักเพราะชั้นเป็นเกย์และแสดงออกในการแต่งตัวว่าเป็นตัวตนของตัวเองมากไป และทำไมถึงไม่ตัดสินชั้นที่ความสามารถมากกว่าตัวตนที่แท้จริงของชั้น