
I read the news from the Thai Rath newspaper on April 6, 2007. It was about a transgendered boy who was robbed and raped on the way home and afterward went to the police station to inform the police, hoping that they would help him. I think what he had just suffered was bad enough for him but what he got back from the policemen was worse - teasing smiles. The police thought that it was impossible and ridiculous for a male to be raped. After reading that news, it made me think that now is the time people have to care more about those people we call “the third gender” or GLBT people.


In Thailand, people usually think that rape can happen only to females but they forget the truth that anything bad can happen to anyone and when it happens, no one can deny it. It’s true that we don’t really hear about gay rape very often in Thailand but it doesn’t mean that things like that have never happened. Although transgendered people they are in between male and female, which is unusual for many people, it does not mean that they want what male and female do not want. Everyone who is raped will have the same feeling. Rape is an act of sexual intercourse that is forced, and no one, gay or straight, will feel happy being forced to have sex.
I have read that the Thai Legislative Assembly is planning to change the law in order to protect GLBT people more from rape and other serious crimes. I am glad to hear that because at least Thai people are showing more concern about GLBT issues. I hope this law will be adopted really soon and then the problem will be reduced.
Do you think GLBT people need the law to protect them?
Do you think GLBT people need the law to protect them?
Do you think gay people have to be protected while he is a man who is supposed to be as strong as the other man?
Can the law really help decrease the incidence rape?
By Tipawan
3 comments:
When I read this post, I found myself thinking about the headline of GLBT being manipulated as the hottest issue. I mean if GLBT commit a crime, they would be pinpointed more famous than general crimes, for example, domestic violence. I’m glad to hear that there would be the law protecting GBLT. At least, there would be some help for GLBT people when they got rape or were harm.
I had learned from Swan about legalizing the law for GLBT that the legal team has to be careful about the choosing the word for calling GLBT people. To be honest, I felt this law is the greatest thing for GLBT people in Thailand. Forming the law for GLBT would be much more easier, if only we could understand them and accept them as a human being, just like us.
Rape is always bad. There is extreme physical and psychological pain. If a man gets raped, some people might feel that this is unreal and cannot happen, but it does in any society, to people of any religion, race and background. It's very difficult for me to talk about rape and I am sure I am not the only one. Rape is bad enough, the fact, that there are people who would not take a victim serious after being raped, makes it even more horrible.
Swan
I used to read the news that some victim of rape doesn’t want to inform the police that they were raped. They don’t want to be asked in details about the rape. It is like they have to think about that nightmare again and again.
But when I finished reading this post, I felt really sorry to the boy who was raped. Was it his fault to be gay? Absolutely not. But why did he get the awful response from the police, just because the wrong belief that only woman who can be raped.
He was there for help but the thing he got was worse than being raped.
Being raped is actually shocking but it is not as bad as being raped again by the teasing smiles from any other people. He was the victim of the rapist but also the society.
Post a Comment