Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Gay Parents


What are you going to do if one day your mother tells you that she is lesbian?

What are you going to do if one day your father tells you that he is gay?

For some reasons, GLBT people have to hide themselves and let a tradition controls who they are and what they want. Many of them get married and find out later that they can’t live with their spouses. Some of them notice that they are not happy living with the opposing sex and become GLBT after marriage. Whatever reasons can cause a problem for their marriage’s life. After finding out, some GLBT people still hide themselves in order to keep their family life while some of them choose to show who they really are.

I think it’s a good idea for GLBT people to expose themselves and tell their kids the truth. Some kids might don’t understand and can’t accept at first but finally they have to.


I have a friend who lives with her father. They love each other a lot. When she was 17, she realized that a person she calls “Papa” is a woman. She cried a lot but I was afraid of asking her why she cried so much. Was she shame? Was she angry? I still can’t figure out but what I know now is she has to accept that she has a lesbian mother and has to continue living.

Do you think GLBT parents should keep their feeling in mind continuing being parents or tell their kids the truth?
In another point, some GLBT people who live together as a couple might want to have kids. The problem is they can’t do that because of a natural reason. But if they really want to have children, they can adopt any kids from an orphanage. Some people think that GLBT people are abnormal so they can’t be good parents. But I disagree. Gender is not the most important factor makes good parents.

Love is the most important. I believe that people can do anything best if they do with love. It doesn’t matter if two men will be parents. They can play that role well as long as they love to do that. They are couple but just different from normal couples because they are in male’s body. After all, they are humans, just like us.

Do you think GLBT people can be good parents?

By Tipawan








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think what makes the differences of raising children are love and commitment of the parents, not their gender. And homosexual people are as capable of loving children as fully as anyone else.

But my mind has changed when I met a student in my class. She always talked about her mom but her dad and she always cried if anyone asked where her dad was. And I found out later that she was adopted by a lesbian couple.

I don’t think that having same-sex partner is wrong as long as they are happy to be. Or if we had a same-sex parent, we might not care if anyone talked bad about us because we are mature enough.

But what about little children feeling? Do they have to understand and accept that they are different from their friends? I don’t think it’s good for them. If I was in committed relationship with same-sex spouse and wanted to raise a child, I would adopt my closed relative’s child and asked her to call me “aunt” rather to be her mom because I don’t want to create that child an inferiority complex

Anonymous said...

Having two mommies or daddies should not be anything out of the ordinary, but it might feel a bit strange when we see it for the first time. More and more couples do raise children, especially in Europe, because they are also able to marry. In the England there are the first series of children's books coming out that presents homosexuality as the norm. So children would learn that there is nothing wrong about homosexuality and eventually find it normal to have parents who either are both women or men. It is also helping to socialize children whose parents are hetereosexual, that others might have two daddies or two mommies. And that is an equal to what they have.